Skip to main content

Medical Examination at SLMCEC

November 9-10, 2009

This will be a blow by blow account of my medical exam that took place last week. If you want to be first in line, you can be there as early as 3am, but I went there at 5am because I wanted to make sure that I am safe while taking the exam and I don't want to wait in line for 2-3 hours. It was a good move, since they were already accepting applicants at 5am and I got in around 5:20am and I was the 54th applicant of the day.

Make sure to have the following ready:
1. Passport
2. 4 2x2 visa pictures (they will only take 3 though, but I brought 4 since that's their requirement)
3. Original and photocopy of approval letter from the embassy
4. Print out of your interview schedule
5. Black ballpoint pen
6. Payment (213.35 - exchange rate is at 48)

Flow chart:
1. At 5:30 I already got in and filled out the Patient Data Sheet form. Memorize your fiance's address and phone number or at least have a copy of it.

2. The guard called us up for the digital picture taking. Make sure not to lose your number.

3. Stood in line to submit PDS form and have it verified at the counter. The person verifying my form was very grumpy, good thing that only lasted for a couple of minutes!

4. Payment at the cashier- 5th floor

5. I was asked to proceed to the 4th floor for my urine and blood test.

Make sure to go to the counter first and submit your PDS together with your passport. Always remember when the first and last day of your menstruation is. And make sure you don't have your period during the exam.

6. Was asked to proceed to the 3rd floor for my X-ray. I had my old X-ray film taken last October 9th, but they didn't honor that. So you I had to take the X-ray all over again.

7. Was asked to go to the 5th floor for vital signs, height and weight, and eye test. Proceed to the US counter right away, it's on the right side once you get to the 5th floor. Submit your PDS and passport at the counter and wait for your name to be called. This is the routine on each floor.

8. Still on the 5th floor- I had my Medical examination and I had to disrobe completely. My advise is to wear something that you can easily remove, so that you can save time disrobing. Don't worry, the physical exam isn't that scary. :)

9. I was asked to go back to the 2nd floor for my immunization interview (make sure to remember where your chicken pox scar is 'coz you will asked about this. If you can't show proof, there's a big possibility that you will have to take the varicella shot the next day.)

10. I was then told to go to the 3rd floor for check out. I was asked to come back the next day at 7:30 am and I have to bring my passport and medical exam receipt. I was done at 11:30am.

11: Day 2- I was there before 7:30am. There were tons of people when I got there, but I wasn't really that alarmed. I placed my receipt on the box that says immunization receipts, then I had to wait for my name to be called for immunization. I only had to wait for 15-30 minutes, then my name was called and the nurse gave me 3 shots in total. I had MMR(measles, mumps, rubella), diphtheria, and HPV.

12. I was asked to go the ground floor and wait for my name to be called. When my name was called, the guy at the counter asked for my passport and told me to wait for my name to be called again. I waited for a couple of minutes before my name was called and I was given my vaccination chart (which I had photocopied when I went out of the building), and the CD of my chest x-ray which I was asked to bring once I leave the country. Thank God they didn't give us the HUGE x-ray film!

I was done at 10am! It's now time to prepare for the interview!




Comments

Anonymous said…
Hello there,

Do we have to pay extra for the vaccines or its already included in the $215.++ paid for the said exam?

Another thing, I havent receive a letter from the US embassy but I have an email of the confirmation of interview schedule. Do I really need that letter or will the email suffice?


*Fleda
Deelixuz said…
Hi Fleda,

No need to pay extra for the vaccines, it's already included in the medical exam fee. Make sure to get all the vaccines you need to get while you're still in the Philippines though. Don't worry, they will tell you what you need to get. :)

I'm not sure what letter you are referring to though. But the letter I am referring to here is the letter that the embassy will send you in the mail which tells you that you are eligible to be scheduled for the visa interview. It contains the phone number you need to call for the visa interview appointment, the website for instructions, etc. You will need that (with the photocopy) then the print out of your visa interview appointment which you will be getting through email.
Anonymous said…
Thanks for the heads up... I will be having my Medical tomorrow.
Deelixuz said…
You're welcome! :) Good luck on everything.
Anonymous said…
I thought the medical exam is so "mabusisi" like other medical diagnostic centers. Will take 3 test tube of blood for blood test, 2 big vials of urine. Then you go naked all the way because the doctor will inspect everything including the anus and vagina. That's why i am kinda anxious.
Deelixuz said…
The medical exam wasn't exactly that horrifying. They only took a blood test - not really 3 test tubes. Then just one vial of urine to check if you are pregnant. You have to make sure though that you are not on your period, so that you won't have to come back for the pregancy test. You go naked all the way for the doctor to check, but that only took less than 5 minutes. The doctor will just take a quick look at your anus and vagina, but nothing too scary. Having a pap smear is worse than the medical exam, believe me. I even felt like I wasn't thoroughly checked. There's nothing to be anxious about. I don't exactly know where you got the exaggerated information, but everything isn't true- well, except for the checking of the anus and vagina (which is not really scary) :)
Anonymous said…
during the physical examination.. if they found out that u have breast lumps.. do u think they will let u pass the medical examination???
Deelixuz said…
@ malynbondoc22 : I'm not really sure about that. But I think it's more of them letting you know you will need to have your breast lumps checked to make sure it's not cancer - for your own safety, but I don't think it's the basis for failing you during the medical exam. I think they will only fail those who have contagious diseases - that's why they have the HIV test

Popular posts from this blog

I'm not so evil after all

" I never got the chance to be your trainee, but I heard a lot of good things about you Ms. Dee." Reading this post from someone I barely even know made my heart flutter. I know that I have been totally brutal with my trainees when I was still working as a trainer back home 'coz I want them to be excellent in their field. I know I was hated by many 'coz I don't know how to kiss people's asses. I even almost got in trouble with our big boss when I was only passing a few people during interviews. A lot of people were mad at me 'coz of my unbelievable standards. A lot of times it did affect me and all I wanted was to please everyone, but I was also pushed by my one of my supervisors not to lower my standards. I got reprimanded for passing a few people during interviews by our big boss, and I got reprimanded by my direct supervisor for passing a lot of trainees during my class. I was totally confused when I was starting up in my new field. But time, experience

The Perpetually Tanned Filipina's Thursday bus adventure

WARNING: LONG POST AHEAD. Read at your own risk. If there is one thing I have learned today, it's that attracting positive thoughts brings you positive results. I took the bus for the 3rd time today, 'coz my hubs had to work and I didn't want him to take a day off just to drive me to the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles). I had to go there to get my non-driver ID for the nth time 'coz I received a letter in the mail saying that I had a discrepancy on my birthdate. To me it was impossible 'coz all of my documents indicate the same birthdate. Since it was indicated in the letter that I had to go to their office and present documents, I took all the courage to take the bus - with a new route today. I went to the Social Security office two times, so I was familiar with that route. I woke up at 9am to get ready 'coz I knew that the bus will be passing by our street at 10-ish. I had to put sunblock on my face, but totally forgot to apply sunblock on my legs and