Skip to main content

Crafts for less

I don't really know what it is with the holiday season, but my "craftiness" usually kicks in whenever Christmas is fast approaching. It all started about a year ago when I decided to make personalized cards and gifts for my friends, family members, and colleagues. My Mom is really crafty, but I wasn't really interested in making projects when I was a lot younger, 'coz I'm just too lazy to even think about a concept. Our house in the Philippines will always be festive by October 'coz my Mom will decorate the entire place with so much attention to every detail, so that her holiday theme will flow all throughout our house. Meanwhile, I will just sit on the couch and watch TV and lounge like there's no tomorrow. I showed no interest at all, as everything was just too much for my brain cells to handle.
Mom's pink-themed Christmas tree (2013)

One of the decorated areas in our house


Then, I discovered Pinterest. Ohhh... Pinterest. For some reason, that site brings out the creativity in every individual - even if you don't really consider yourself very creative. I was a little bit surprised myself when I was able to make my first DIY jewelry by getting the idea from Pinterest and following the tutorial on Youtube. I started with just a little pack of beads and ended up with an entire collection.
October 21, 2013 - the very first pair of earrings that I have put together
I ended up making all of these and more...
wine glass charms
My jewelry-making phase was short-lived, as I have a very short attention span and when boredom hits me, the creative side of my brain also shuts down. Besides, that hobby was getting a little bit expensive, as I wasn't planning on selling the stuff that I already made.

A year later, here I am doing some crafts again and this time, my goal is to keep it really affordable, but chic. As I was browsing through Pinterest, I stumbled across a collection of hurricane and Apothecary jars with the use of jars and candle stick holders from the Dollar Tree or store, or whatever you want to call it. The Apothecary and hurricane jars from the department store, would usually cost you more than $20, so just imagine putting one together for less than $5?Who wouldn't want to do that?! So I made a quick trip to our nearest Dollar Tree and I'm glad that I was able to find the tall jars and candle stick holders. I also went to Walmart to get the E6000 glue, as most people who already made the project, recommended it over the regular glue stick.

Left: candle stick holder, vase, and E6000 glue
Right: finished product with ornaments, also from the Dollar store

The project was so easy and affordable, that it triggered the crafty side of me. I ended up making more than one and I'm quite pleased with the results. I still have to make one of those Apothecary jars, but I'm just not getting lucky in finding the right jar to add a cover on top of it. 

Here are some of the products that I've completed in a span of 3 days.
My holiday centerpiece

Bracelet holder (plate+candle stick holder)

Thanksgiving centerpiece

Sephora-inspired brush holder

Small vase as a q-tip holder 
I also made a shadow box display using affordable materials:

Shadow box frame (thrifted 0.99 cents), background (holiday wrapping paper), bells (dollar store), letters (Michael's)
Thank you, Pinterest and Youtube for unleashing the craft monster inside of me, but I have no regrets in making all of these projects, as the results help our place look a lot more festive and I was able to organize our stuff in a simple, yet elegant way. 

You're welcome. :) 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Beautifully written dai!
Deelixuz said…
Thank you, Bas! :) My skill in writing is getting a little bit rusty. :D

Popular posts from this blog

Medical Examination at SLMCEC

November 9-10, 2009 This will be a blow by blow account of my medical exam that took place last week. If you want to be first in line, you can be there as early as 3am, but I went there at 5am because I wanted to make sure that I am safe while taking the exam and I don't want to wait in line for 2-3 hours. It was a good move, since they were already accepting applicants at 5am and I got in around 5:20am and I was the 54th applicant of the day. Make sure to have the following ready: 1. Passport 2. 4 2x2 visa pictures (they will only take 3 though, but I brought 4 since that's their requirement) 3. Original and photocopy of approval letter from the embassy 4. Print out of your interview schedule 5. Black ballpoint pen 6. Payment (213.35 - exchange rate is at 48) Flow chart: 1. At 5:30 I already got in and filled out the Patient Data Sheet form. Memorize your fiance's address and phone number or at least have a copy of it. 2. The guard called us up for the digital picture taki

I'm not so evil after all

" I never got the chance to be your trainee, but I heard a lot of good things about you Ms. Dee." Reading this post from someone I barely even know made my heart flutter. I know that I have been totally brutal with my trainees when I was still working as a trainer back home 'coz I want them to be excellent in their field. I know I was hated by many 'coz I don't know how to kiss people's asses. I even almost got in trouble with our big boss when I was only passing a few people during interviews. A lot of people were mad at me 'coz of my unbelievable standards. A lot of times it did affect me and all I wanted was to please everyone, but I was also pushed by my one of my supervisors not to lower my standards. I got reprimanded for passing a few people during interviews by our big boss, and I got reprimanded by my direct supervisor for passing a lot of trainees during my class. I was totally confused when I was starting up in my new field. But time, experience

Mr. Crabs

I am selectively listening to Blood Hound Gang's Uhn tiss Uhn Tiss Uhn Tiss almost the whole day. I say selectively, 'coz the lyrics is not really something you would be proud to share to everyone. But the beat is catchy and it triggers my happy brain neurons and makes me want to talk about....king crab legs. Yes, the king crab legs I had last Friday. I love crabs especially if it's cooked in coconut milk. My mom used to cook one whole pot for me everytime I visit Bukidnon. It's such a treat 'coz the Davao-Bukidnon trip takes around 4 hours, so going home to hot rice and a pot of crabs cooked in coconut milk is like being in heaven. It makes me forget how sucky my trip was and just makes me thank my mom for cooking my favorite food. But gone were those days when I just tell my mom I want crabs, 'coz here the crabs are very expensive! They don't have the wet market we have in Valencia that sells crabs for 240php per kilo. The cheapest is 8.99 USD per lb here.