Skip to main content

I'm not so evil after all

" I never got the chance to be your trainee, but I heard a lot of good things about you Ms. Dee."

Reading this post from someone I barely even know made my heart flutter. I know that I have been totally brutal with my trainees when I was still working as a trainer back home 'coz I want them to be excellent in their field. I know I was hated by many 'coz I don't know how to kiss people's asses. I even almost got in trouble with our big boss when I was only passing a few people during interviews. A lot of people were mad at me 'coz of my unbelievable standards. A lot of times it did affect me and all I wanted was to please everyone, but I was also pushed by my one of my supervisors not to lower my standards. I got reprimanded for passing a few people during interviews by our big boss, and I got reprimanded by my direct supervisor for passing a lot of trainees during my class. I was totally confused when I was starting up in my new field. But time, experience, and meeting new people helped me improve my craft.

When I started training people, I barely smile and crack jokes. I was too serious and I honestly scare the hell out of each of my students. I don't exactly know how they were able to get out of my class alive. It took me 14 classes to finally loosen up. It's when I met a bunch of trainees from team Wisconsin where I learned to enjoy my class and be friends with my students. I started getting comfortable with the people I was with and I learned to make jokes in my class. My personality was the most difficult to change 'coz I was always intimidating to people - that never changed even after I left, but the people who attended my class know how much of a clown I am. I have serious moments when I'm teaching, but when I feel like there's tension, I use my sarcasm to make them laugh and it actually works. A few survive at the end of the training class, but I am proud to have passed quality trainees. I have always been proud of my trainees even if they screw up when taking in calls. I am happy to see them mature and get promoted. I give them all the credit for taking that step to become the best in their team. It's great to hear the words "thank you" from some of them even if I know that I didn't do anything to make them get there. That was one of the things I loved about my job - the fulfillment of seeing my students improve and succeed.

So people would always think that I'm intimidating. I intimidate them no matter how small I am and I am totally clueless. I remember standing in front of my class the first day and everybody is like frozen popsicle sticks and it would never fail to crack me up. After giving out my house rules, my craziness would then start. There will still be some who are still intimidated- which is understandable, but most of them would crack jokes back at me which makes the class really fun. Every training class I had was a big stress reliever 'coz I love to be animated in front of them and it's like I'm acting on stage. I would be exhausted at the end of the day, but I still have a smile on my face.

I always thought that 90% of the people I know hate me, but I'm glad that there are people who would go out of their way to let me know that I'm not so evil after all. They just don't know how much those words mean to me. It brightens even the darkest day I have - coz it's raining outside. :)

If I had the chance, I would like to thank all of those who have learned to appreciate my real self, and even those who have always challenged me to become a better person.

Working as a trainer for 4 years and training more than 1000 people in that 4-year period was the BEST job I've had in my entire existence. I'm sure and I know that no other job could surpass the fulfillment and joy I had with those 4 years of working. There was never a day where I would not want to get up 'coz I have a class. I have accomplished my dream job before I reached the age of 30 and no amount of money can replace the happiness I feel every time I know that I have touched another stranger's life even if I'm no longer working as a trainer.

Life is beautiful.
Fact: I was called "Killer Dee" when I was still a trainer 'coz my attrition rate was higher than normal. lol! I was always going for quality over quantity and I never regret maintaining high standards in class. Mediocrity is not the key to success.

Comments

J said…
You're one of the funniest and smartest person I know, Dee. I am so glad our paths have crossed. And I am still hoping to finally meet you in person.

I know you're a REAL teacher (in the truest sense of the word) cause of what you said that you always look forward to going to class. And it shows in the way you care for your trainees. Keep it up, Dee. I am SO PROUD of you, little sister!
Deelixuz said…
Thank you Ate, for the nice words. I'm also glad that our paths have crossed and I'm thankful that you are always there to give me pieces of advice and say nice words when I need them. I'm glad to meet a person with a good heart.

I still have to write you an email this week. Your words mean a lot to me! Thank you! :) God bless you and your hubs always.
Anne said…
You're one of th best Mang. Don't you forget that. =)
Deelixuz said…
Aww! :) thank you so much girlfriend! :)
Anonymous said…
you're the best trainer ms. dee! i've been to different call centers but nothing compares your skill. massachusetts guy
Deelixuz said…
Awww... Thank you for the very nice words, my Massachusetts trainee! :) I'm glad to know that for once in my life, I did my job right. :D

Popular posts from this blog

Medical Examination at SLMCEC

November 9-10, 2009 This will be a blow by blow account of my medical exam that took place last week. If you want to be first in line, you can be there as early as 3am, but I went there at 5am because I wanted to make sure that I am safe while taking the exam and I don't want to wait in line for 2-3 hours. It was a good move, since they were already accepting applicants at 5am and I got in around 5:20am and I was the 54th applicant of the day. Make sure to have the following ready: 1. Passport 2. 4 2x2 visa pictures (they will only take 3 though, but I brought 4 since that's their requirement) 3. Original and photocopy of approval letter from the embassy 4. Print out of your interview schedule 5. Black ballpoint pen 6. Payment (213.35 - exchange rate is at 48) Flow chart: 1. At 5:30 I already got in and filled out the Patient Data Sheet form. Memorize your fiance's address and phone number or at least have a copy of it. 2. The guard called us up for the digital picture taki

The Perpetually Tanned Filipina's Thursday bus adventure

WARNING: LONG POST AHEAD. Read at your own risk. If there is one thing I have learned today, it's that attracting positive thoughts brings you positive results. I took the bus for the 3rd time today, 'coz my hubs had to work and I didn't want him to take a day off just to drive me to the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles). I had to go there to get my non-driver ID for the nth time 'coz I received a letter in the mail saying that I had a discrepancy on my birthdate. To me it was impossible 'coz all of my documents indicate the same birthdate. Since it was indicated in the letter that I had to go to their office and present documents, I took all the courage to take the bus - with a new route today. I went to the Social Security office two times, so I was familiar with that route. I woke up at 9am to get ready 'coz I knew that the bus will be passing by our street at 10-ish. I had to put sunblock on my face, but totally forgot to apply sunblock on my legs and