Skip to main content

Devil's fart

We went to the Outback Steakhouse a month or two ago and they served us this dark bread with a side of butter and I fell in love with it! It's my first time to taste and see such bread, so I asked my friend who is the author of Not Just a Food Blog  what it was (but I couldn't remember the name. lol) and suggested an alternative which I can buy at the grocery store - Pumpernickel


So I checked it out at our local grocery store and I did find one. I got it for $2.99, a little pricey compared to your regular white bread because they only sell half a loaf. I got it anyway to give it a try. 
It says Real Jewish Pumpernickel and the origin of the pumperickel is in Germany? Ironic. Just sayin'. It tasted a "little" similar to what I had at the Outback resto, but not really that much 'coz I tasted the bread-ish flavor more. I don't know how to describe the black bread at the Outback resto 'coz it was sweet and it felt like it would melt in your mouth. Yes, it was really tasty. This piece I got from the grocery store is a little dry and very grainy. It makes me feel full though and helps promote proper digestion (sparing you the rest of the ugly details). I'm still trying to find a way on how to eat this without feeling like my whole throat is dry. I feel like dipping this into a glass of milk soon. Weird? Yes? 


There's also an interesting fact on how this dark bread got its name according to the article I've read from wikipedia.org: The Philologist Johann Christoph Adelung states about the Germanic origin of the word that, in the vernacular, Pumpen was a New High German synonym for being flatulent, a word similar in meaning to the English "fart", and "Nickel" was a form of the name Nicholas, an appellation commonly associated with a goblin or devil (e.g., "Old Nick", a familiar name for Satan), or more generally for a malevolent spirit or demon. (See also the metal nickel, probably named for a demon that would "change" or contaminate valuable copper with this strange metal that was much harder to work.) Hence, pumpernickel is described as the "devil's fart," a definition accepted by the Stopes International Language Database,[2] the publisher Random House,[3] and by some English language dictionaries, including the Merriam-Webster Dictionary.[4] The American Heritage Dictionary adds "so named from being hard to digest."  


"Devil's fart", how classy! Try eating it and you will know what the article is talking about. Don't say I didn't warn you! :)





Comments

J said…
Hi Dee! Yehey, singit na naman ako sa blog mo hehehe. Wow, I never knew that pumpernickel was the devil's part. Kaya pala ganon ang lasa haha.

Outback's bread is Honey Wheat bread. Here's a copycat recipe:

http://homecooking.about.com/od/breadrecipes/r/blbread17.htm
J said…
ooops, fart, not part. Major major mistake. :-P
Deelixuz said…
Hahaha!! Pede din naman devil's part.. part ng fart nya. :)) Oh.. yeah I forgot the name. Honey Wheat bread pala un. Thanks mucho!! Oo, singit ka lagi kasi idol kita sa tanungan. May sagot ka lagi. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Medical Examination at SLMCEC

November 9-10, 2009 This will be a blow by blow account of my medical exam that took place last week. If you want to be first in line, you can be there as early as 3am, but I went there at 5am because I wanted to make sure that I am safe while taking the exam and I don't want to wait in line for 2-3 hours. It was a good move, since they were already accepting applicants at 5am and I got in around 5:20am and I was the 54th applicant of the day. Make sure to have the following ready: 1. Passport 2. 4 2x2 visa pictures (they will only take 3 though, but I brought 4 since that's their requirement) 3. Original and photocopy of approval letter from the embassy 4. Print out of your interview schedule 5. Black ballpoint pen 6. Payment (213.35 - exchange rate is at 48) Flow chart: 1. At 5:30 I already got in and filled out the Patient Data Sheet form. Memorize your fiance's address and phone number or at least have a copy of it. 2. The guard called us up for the digital picture taki

I'm not so evil after all

" I never got the chance to be your trainee, but I heard a lot of good things about you Ms. Dee." Reading this post from someone I barely even know made my heart flutter. I know that I have been totally brutal with my trainees when I was still working as a trainer back home 'coz I want them to be excellent in their field. I know I was hated by many 'coz I don't know how to kiss people's asses. I even almost got in trouble with our big boss when I was only passing a few people during interviews. A lot of people were mad at me 'coz of my unbelievable standards. A lot of times it did affect me and all I wanted was to please everyone, but I was also pushed by my one of my supervisors not to lower my standards. I got reprimanded for passing a few people during interviews by our big boss, and I got reprimanded by my direct supervisor for passing a lot of trainees during my class. I was totally confused when I was starting up in my new field. But time, experience

The Perpetually Tanned Filipina's Thursday bus adventure

WARNING: LONG POST AHEAD. Read at your own risk. If there is one thing I have learned today, it's that attracting positive thoughts brings you positive results. I took the bus for the 3rd time today, 'coz my hubs had to work and I didn't want him to take a day off just to drive me to the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles). I had to go there to get my non-driver ID for the nth time 'coz I received a letter in the mail saying that I had a discrepancy on my birthdate. To me it was impossible 'coz all of my documents indicate the same birthdate. Since it was indicated in the letter that I had to go to their office and present documents, I took all the courage to take the bus - with a new route today. I went to the Social Security office two times, so I was familiar with that route. I woke up at 9am to get ready 'coz I knew that the bus will be passing by our street at 10-ish. I had to put sunblock on my face, but totally forgot to apply sunblock on my legs and