Skip to main content

A review on Smile Thai (Chai Thai) restaurant

My husband and I were watching Gordon Ramsay’s “Great Escape”. It’s a documentary about his trip to India where he tasted different kinds of food, cooked in a train, and tried the authentic chutney which was made out of ant eggs and chili. They showed authentic Indian cuisine – talk about an egg placed inside a quail, the quail placed inside a chicken, then the chicken placed inside a goat, then the goat placed on top of some specially cooked rice. It was prepared for a wedding and people loved it.


So my hubs and I wanted to try Indian cuisine because some of the food they showed- especially the curry looked really tasty! We checked online for an Indian restaurant near our place, but we just missed their lunch special and we don’t want to spend so much money on food, so we figured we’d just try it some other time. Instead of going to an Indian restaurant, we decided to visit a Thai place since there’s one near us.

The first Thai place we went to was closed, so we went to another one called Smile Thai (Chai Thai before). The place was tiny and it was almost empty except for a family who are enjoying their lunch. We were greeted by a very nice waitress and we chose the tiny bunk seat right at the corner of the restaurant. We were handed the menu- which, by the way looked a little tacky for menu prices which costs more than $12! The menu was printed in white bond paper and it was placed inside a thin, green folder. Check their prices here:  http://www.letseat.at/chaithaicuisine/menu (their lunch specials are not updated here. It's $6.95 when we went there). So much for not going to the Indian restaurant to save money.

It was embarrassing to leave, so we just ordered anyway. I have been to Thailand and staying there for a month made me a big fan of Thai food. I love the spices, flavor, and how much you could possibly cry when you don’t say mai pet (not spicy). Even when I say mai pet, it’s still spicy  but I have learned to love it. I used to order the seafood rice which was 70baht at a restaurant near our Via Lingua school. It’s rice with shrimps, squid, shrimp paste, and lots of green onions. It was the best! Good thing that my classmates and I walk more than a mile everyday, so I lost weight even if I was eating so much rice everyday. I also remember having green curry one time and it was served in a bowl with a side of rice. It tasted okay, but I really didn’t like it ‘coz it has herbs in it that I don’t like and it had a weird after taste. I tried one of my friends yellow curry and it was good, so I made sure that I ordered the yellow curry when we went back to that restaurant. Yeah, I did order the yellow curry at Smile Thai and my hubs ordered drunken noodles. I wasn’t really expecting a lot ‘coz I thought it would just serve the Americanized Thai cuisine. The waitress asked us how hot we want our food to be; we just said medium hot ‘coz we both love spicy food.

So our order arrived… the servings were HUGE! No wonder they are overpriced! But it was worth the price, coz I was speechless when I tasted the curry. It was just like the curry I had in Thailand! American sized serving with the authentic Thai taste! I normally eat half of my rice, but this time I finished one cup ‘coz the curry was so good. My husband loved his drunken noodles and also finished one whole plate. He was sweating and all red while eating ‘coz the food was really spicy even when we said “medium” hot. I got used to it ‘coz that’s how they do it in Thailand. Our waitress was really nice and she kept coming back to offer us a glass of water. You totally need a glass of water with the spice they put in your food. We finished both of what we ordered and it was worth every cent we paid. We have learned our lesson though- visit the place from 11am til 3:30pm so you can take advantage of their lunch specials which is only for $6.95. The yellow curry and drunken noodle is part of the deal! You can even order fried ice cream for dessert.

I’m giving this restaurant 4 out of 5 stars. It’s just a little too pricey when you’re not ordering their lunch specials and the ambiance is a little sad. But with a friendly owner(she did say hi to us and asked how our food was) and waitress who would attend to your needs, you would just brush the feeling off and enjoy a hearty meal. The restaurant is called Smile Thai for a reason- that’s ‘coz the people who work there (at least those we met that day) are always smiling and we left the place with a smile on our face ‘coz the food was great! We will definitely go back to this place – at lunch this time. 

Yellow Curry
(click to enlarge)

Drunken noodle(s)
(click to enlarge)

Comments

J said…
Oooh, I love Thai food! Subukan namin yang Thai Smile pag napasyal ako sa Orlando hehehe.
Deelixuz said…
Oh really? Nice! I love, love, love Thai food! :) It's along curry ford road, wag ka lang magulat sa place pag nakita mo kasi hindi naman siya fancy, pero the food is great. Better go there during their lunch specials para hindi masyadong mahal.

Popular posts from this blog

Medical Examination at SLMCEC

November 9-10, 2009 This will be a blow by blow account of my medical exam that took place last week. If you want to be first in line, you can be there as early as 3am, but I went there at 5am because I wanted to make sure that I am safe while taking the exam and I don't want to wait in line for 2-3 hours. It was a good move, since they were already accepting applicants at 5am and I got in around 5:20am and I was the 54th applicant of the day. Make sure to have the following ready: 1. Passport 2. 4 2x2 visa pictures (they will only take 3 though, but I brought 4 since that's their requirement) 3. Original and photocopy of approval letter from the embassy 4. Print out of your interview schedule 5. Black ballpoint pen 6. Payment (213.35 - exchange rate is at 48) Flow chart: 1. At 5:30 I already got in and filled out the Patient Data Sheet form. Memorize your fiance's address and phone number or at least have a copy of it. 2. The guard called us up for the digital picture taki

I'm not so evil after all

" I never got the chance to be your trainee, but I heard a lot of good things about you Ms. Dee." Reading this post from someone I barely even know made my heart flutter. I know that I have been totally brutal with my trainees when I was still working as a trainer back home 'coz I want them to be excellent in their field. I know I was hated by many 'coz I don't know how to kiss people's asses. I even almost got in trouble with our big boss when I was only passing a few people during interviews. A lot of people were mad at me 'coz of my unbelievable standards. A lot of times it did affect me and all I wanted was to please everyone, but I was also pushed by my one of my supervisors not to lower my standards. I got reprimanded for passing a few people during interviews by our big boss, and I got reprimanded by my direct supervisor for passing a lot of trainees during my class. I was totally confused when I was starting up in my new field. But time, experience

The Perpetually Tanned Filipina's Thursday bus adventure

WARNING: LONG POST AHEAD. Read at your own risk. If there is one thing I have learned today, it's that attracting positive thoughts brings you positive results. I took the bus for the 3rd time today, 'coz my hubs had to work and I didn't want him to take a day off just to drive me to the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles). I had to go there to get my non-driver ID for the nth time 'coz I received a letter in the mail saying that I had a discrepancy on my birthdate. To me it was impossible 'coz all of my documents indicate the same birthdate. Since it was indicated in the letter that I had to go to their office and present documents, I took all the courage to take the bus - with a new route today. I went to the Social Security office two times, so I was familiar with that route. I woke up at 9am to get ready 'coz I knew that the bus will be passing by our street at 10-ish. I had to put sunblock on my face, but totally forgot to apply sunblock on my legs and