Skip to main content

The Perpetually Tanned Filipina's Thursday bus adventure

WARNING: LONG POST AHEAD. Read at your own risk.

If there is one thing I have learned today, it's that attracting positive thoughts brings you positive results.

I took the bus for the 3rd time today, 'coz my hubs had to work and I didn't want him to take a day off just to drive me to the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles). I had to go there to get my non-driver ID for the nth time 'coz I received a letter in the mail saying that I had a discrepancy on my birthdate. To me it was impossible 'coz all of my documents indicate the same birthdate. Since it was indicated in the letter that I had to go to their office and present documents, I took all the courage to take the bus - with a new route today. I went to the Social Security office two times, so I was familiar with that route.

I woke up at 9am to get ready 'coz I knew that the bus will be passing by our street at 10-ish. I had to put sunblock on my face, but totally forgot to apply sunblock on my legs and arms. What was I thinking? But anyway, I was already outside around 10 and there was another man sitting on the grass waiting for the bus too. I just gave him a smile and he said hi 'coz I don't want anyone to feel I'm scared of him. After 5 minutes, the bus arrived and I am all set for a new adventure!

I got a good seat and I made sure that I can see the street names. It was totally cold inside the bus, but I would rather feel cold than melt under the sun's heat. I had to entertain myself so I was just observing the people inside the bus and checking out the places we were passing by. Then near the Florida Hospital, three differently abled people boarded the bus. 2 were blind and another one is in a wheelchair. But the moment the bus driver let down that ramp, prepared the sitting place for the guy in a wheelchair, and people vacating the special seats made my heart happy. I was so impressed at how efficient a public transportation could be. 'Coz back in my country, we may have signs for the differently abled, but being in a wheelchair and boarding a bus/a jeepney isn't the most convenient thing to do. NEVER. And that always made me feel bad. 'Coz I believe that everyone has the equal right to sit comfortably in a public transportation. And seeing that today impressed me so much that I was smiling deep inside.

I had to go near the driver to ask where I can get the transfer, and the driver was nice enough to tell me where the next stop will be. It was the easiest of all stops 'coz both Lynx 15 and 30 pass there. Missing it would mean you just didn't bring your brain with you today. Got off the bus and took a seat on a bench while waiting for the next bus. It was so funny 'coz the people who were waiting there were college students. Duh, I was waiting at Valencia Community College (VCC-East), what would I expect to see? It's funny 'coz I never looked different! I felt like I was one of them - I looked like I was just one of the college students. I swear I felt like a chameleon at that place. I'm glad that I still look young for my age. I still feel like I'm a teenager anyway. Mind you, sitting on that bench was horrible. It was almost 11am and the sun is UP. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, the sun was saying hi to me in an evil way. I didn't want to go inside the enclosed waiting area 'coz it was full of guys. While waiting at the bench, a man asked me if 30 already passed by, but I told him I only saw 15. Without hesitation, this man told me he had a tough day at school because of math. I told him I hate math too and he laughed. In less than a minute his bus arrived and he just yapped away and wished me a great day as he boarded the bus. I'm glad a stranger hates math too. The enclosed waiting area was already empty, so I went over to sit there. Wow, whoever made that waiting area never got the chance to live in Florida. It was a human oven! No breeze AT ALL. Then I saw this weird looking guy approach the oven and I felt like I had to get out of there. Allow me to stereotype 'coz he really looked weird and stoned. Better safe than sorry, so I got out of there and moved to another bench even when it was so hot. What do you know, he followed me! Scary! But all he did was ask me if 15 already passed by, so I just told him that it did around 15 minutes ago. He stayed put for a bit while drinking something orange in a huge sprite bottle. Good thing he left when he finished the bottle. So I sat peacefully on the hot bench until I saw Lynx 30 coming.

It looked a little different from the 15 'coz there are a lot of seats on the side then the seats on the last row are elevated. I heard a man asking the driver if he missed his stop and that he wants to get off at Alafaya, I felt a little relieved. I don't need to pull that string! woot! You see, you need to pull the string near the window so it would notify the driver that you need to get off at the next bus stop. Once you pull the string, you will hear the voice of whoever inside the bus saying "Stop requested" then the bus will stop at the next bus stop. How convenient! In the Philippines, you would either tell the driver that you need to get off by saying " Ma, para po" OR in CDO and Davao, we tap the handrail with our coin. You have to tap HARDER if the driver's music is on full blast. If that doesn't work, scream and say " PARA PO!" Then get mad at the driver as you exit the jeepney for not taking your cue to get off. I'm glad that I won't have to do that here. Know your stop, pull the string and you're all set.

I got to Alafaya in one piece, but I had to cross the highway two times 'coz the bus stop is way out there and the DMV is at the opposite side of the intersection. I am also glad that the sign that says walk and don't walk WORKS! In Davao we have it, but even if you press it, no one will follow it. Cross the road at your own risk lady! I swear I crossed that busy Buendia road for a year and it wasn't a pleasant thing to do. It's like playing in the middle of the road with cars as your killers. So yeah, I'm pretty good at crossing the street as long as I'm on the danger side. I feel that I am in danger when I am on the safe side. I want to see the cars when I am crossing so I can do my crossing strategy. Pressing that button for crossing is such a big help. I felt like I was the queen doing a catwalk while crossing the highway 'coz cars would stop just to give you the right of way. Even those who are turning right/left had to stop when you're crossing. I did 2 catwalks just to reach the DMV.

I got to the DMV and I was quite surprised with what I saw. There were only 2 people in front of me! It was a MIRACLE! The number flashing was 644 and the number I got was 647. At least no more 3-hour wait this time! When my number was finally called, I told the lady about my case and she was honest enough to tell me that sometimes they commit a "boo-boo". INDEED a boo boo 'coz all my documents indicated my CORRECT birth date and it says the same thing in their system. She checked what was wrong and it was my name that didn't match. Apparently, changing my last name to my married name is what's stopping them from issuing the ID. It took her more than 10 minutes to fix it and she was nice enough to make sure everything on my record was correct. She assisted me every step of the way, took my picture and made me sign again, and fixed the rest. Actually she fixed EVERYTHING. I thought they are going to mail me the ID, but she told me that it will be given to me in a couple of minutes. I was quite surprised! I thanked her enough for her help and I wish all government employees are like that - nice and accommodating. She did build rapport with me and even told me that she has Filipino friends too. My experience with the DMV employees were all great though, it's only the system and the coming back and forth that ticks me off. I guess being nice to employees also pays off. I am always nice to employees unless they start to give me an attitude. Once they give me an attitude, my halo is replaced with something else so I am always hoping that people I encounter will be nice to me. Mission accomplished at the DMV! I went out of their office with a smile on my face.
I'm browner than the face in this picture now. Florida ID. YAY!


When I was about to make another catwalk- only one this time 'coz the bus stop going back is just on the same side of the intersection, one guy on a bike was screaming " Hey lady hold that for me!" I knew he was referring to the cross button, so I pushed it one more time. To my surprise, he parked his bike infont of me and told me " I am the pow-lees. Me and my cousin are the pow-lees. If you get into trouble, let us know and we will help you. Ayt?" His cousin who was also on a bike was laughing at the other side of the post where I was standing. His weirdness made me laugh. I just said "Okay" while giving away a slight chuckle. He then pedaled to the center isle and telling the cars to go then crossed the street again. Wow, I guess he wasn't afraid to die on that road! I wasn't scared at all 'coz he didn't look scary (just right about my age) and he was all happy and just wanted me to know he's the pow-lees. I know he meant the police. What a weirdo.

It took more than 15 minutes for the bus to arrive and wow it was HOT out there. It was noon and the heat of the sun wasn't making me smile at all. I felt like my skin was getting charred instead of tanned. I was sweating like crazy, good thing I brought a tiny towel with me. I got on the bus again and went back to the same place - VCC east. It was rush hour so the bus took awhile before arriving. There were more people at the waiting place and once again, I fit in! Some students looked older than I am, and I know they were only in their early 20s. Lynx 15 bus looked a little different this time coz it has more seats on the side and the last row was elevated. What was cool about this bus was the fact that it doesn't only have a ramp for the differently abled with a wheelchair. The ramp elevates! It's like being a star of the show being elevated from the ground floor to the stage. That just amazed me. And once again, I was impressed at how they give the people even in wheelchairs the same kind of comfort I experience while riding the same public transportation.

I used to hate taking the bus 'coz I am scared to miss my stop, but now I can say that I have learned a lot from my bus escapades and it taught me to appreciate the efficiency of their public transportation here. Some would ask me if I am scared. My answer? NO. I know that there's no place here on earth that's safe, but I don't want to limit myself in my own comfort zone and miss the challenge that the real world has to offer. I want to enjoy this opportunity to observe people from all walks of life while riding the bus since I still have the chance to do it. 'Coz I know once I start driving, I'm going to be back to my own comfort zone again. I don't want to be boxed up into a very safe place all the time 'coz it bores me. I have always been a risk taker and taking the bus doesn't come close to all the other risks that I still want to take. The public transportation in my own country is scarier than what they have here, but I have survived the life there. I know that once I let my fears take over, I will not amount to anything. Being a boring version of me is the last thing I want to be while I am still alive.

Today's experience: FUN!

Comments

J said…
You are so brave, Dee! I admire you!
Deelixuz said…
Thank you, Ate! :) I have always been an adventurous person. Paranoia kicks in once in awhile, but once I've settled, I'm all good. :)
Anne said…
So, did you hear "Pretty Woman" playing in your head while doing your catwalks? lol! =) Congrats Mang! You finally got your ID. =)
Deelixuz said…
LOL! It was more like.. "I'm too sexy for your love, to sexy..." With my hair blowing against the wind. I felt like a movie star in my own weird world for a couple of seconds. Thanks mang! After 10 years, I finally got my $26 ID. :D

Popular posts from this blog

Medical Examination at SLMCEC

November 9-10, 2009 This will be a blow by blow account of my medical exam that took place last week. If you want to be first in line, you can be there as early as 3am, but I went there at 5am because I wanted to make sure that I am safe while taking the exam and I don't want to wait in line for 2-3 hours. It was a good move, since they were already accepting applicants at 5am and I got in around 5:20am and I was the 54th applicant of the day. Make sure to have the following ready: 1. Passport 2. 4 2x2 visa pictures (they will only take 3 though, but I brought 4 since that's their requirement) 3. Original and photocopy of approval letter from the embassy 4. Print out of your interview schedule 5. Black ballpoint pen 6. Payment (213.35 - exchange rate is at 48) Flow chart: 1. At 5:30 I already got in and filled out the Patient Data Sheet form. Memorize your fiance's address and phone number or at least have a copy of it. 2. The guard called us up for the digital picture taki

I'm not so evil after all

" I never got the chance to be your trainee, but I heard a lot of good things about you Ms. Dee." Reading this post from someone I barely even know made my heart flutter. I know that I have been totally brutal with my trainees when I was still working as a trainer back home 'coz I want them to be excellent in their field. I know I was hated by many 'coz I don't know how to kiss people's asses. I even almost got in trouble with our big boss when I was only passing a few people during interviews. A lot of people were mad at me 'coz of my unbelievable standards. A lot of times it did affect me and all I wanted was to please everyone, but I was also pushed by my one of my supervisors not to lower my standards. I got reprimanded for passing a few people during interviews by our big boss, and I got reprimanded by my direct supervisor for passing a lot of trainees during my class. I was totally confused when I was starting up in my new field. But time, experience

Mr. Crabs

I am selectively listening to Blood Hound Gang's Uhn tiss Uhn Tiss Uhn Tiss almost the whole day. I say selectively, 'coz the lyrics is not really something you would be proud to share to everyone. But the beat is catchy and it triggers my happy brain neurons and makes me want to talk about....king crab legs. Yes, the king crab legs I had last Friday. I love crabs especially if it's cooked in coconut milk. My mom used to cook one whole pot for me everytime I visit Bukidnon. It's such a treat 'coz the Davao-Bukidnon trip takes around 4 hours, so going home to hot rice and a pot of crabs cooked in coconut milk is like being in heaven. It makes me forget how sucky my trip was and just makes me thank my mom for cooking my favorite food. But gone were those days when I just tell my mom I want crabs, 'coz here the crabs are very expensive! They don't have the wet market we have in Valencia that sells crabs for 240php per kilo. The cheapest is 8.99 USD per lb here.