Skip to main content

My journey to getting a Driver's license

Let me tell you a story on how I got my driver's license ( cue How I Met Your Mother theme song)


On a cozy Thursday morning, I woke up to the sound of a voicemail left on my phone. It was the voice of the corporate recruiter who hired me 2 days ago on a job I really wanted so bad. It wasn't good news. Our room was so quiet, that my husband also heard what the recruiter said - we need your driver's license. We were both in a state of panic. The first words from Tim's mouth was "Oh my God" and I was in a state of shock. I'm glad that I was off for 2 days, so I wasn't able to hand over my notice of resignation from my other company when the new company called me up. I was this close to being jobless, and I'm very thankful that I didn't have to go to work for the past 2 days and put myself in a very bad situation. Tim and I jumped out of bed and we had to come up with a solution asap. I'm glad that my husband is clever and intelligent enough to come up with a brilliant solution - and that is to enroll in driving school asap and get my license asap. If I was the only person to encounter that scenario, I would've passed out and regret that I didn't get  license months ago. My husband was able to talk to a driving instructor and he made me talk to him too so I will know what to do. He knew I'm a Filipino and he was telling me that I need to get a learner's permit and it will take me 2-3 weeks to get it. The new job wanted me to send them my DL information on the 29th of December. I was beginning to feel hopeless. I think I have made more than 5 phone calls to the new company that day and with the help of prayers, they held the position for me until I get my license. If they didn't overlook the fact that I only have a state ID and not a Driver's license on the form I filled out during the interview, I wouldn't have been even considered for the position. They already offered me the job, and then realized that I don't have a license, so I think they had to make adjustments on what happened. The driver's license wasn't on their online job posting in the first place, that's why I didn't hesitate to apply. It was only when I got to their office, where I saw a field for driver's license.

I also found out that I need to study the Florida Driver's Manual before I can get my permit, so I had to wait another 2-3 days before I went to the DMV and get one. I haven't studied for an "exam" since my TEFL course in 2008, and reading the manual and actually understanding it took some time for me to get used to. I took a lot of naps in between pages until I finally was in the mood to read it in one sitting and understand what I was reading. I went to the DMV on my next day off and  I was actually reviewing the handbook while waiting for my turn. I looked around to see if there I was anyone else reviewing and to my horror, NO ONE was doing what I was doing. I closed my book and pretended nothing happened. I was called in for my exam (sidenote: the guy who assisted me with my permit liked my name, so he wasn't so grumpy when it was my turn to give him my requirements.) I took my exam and I got the first question wrong. I felt my heart almost going up to my esophagus 'coz I was only allowed to commit 5 mistakes during the test. A miracle happened 'coz I got the rest of the questions right. The road signs were the easiest, the road rules sucked. So I thought I'd be waiting weeks for my permit, but the guy who assisted me after my exam gave me 2 options- either I get my learner's permit or go take the road test that day. I was surprised! I of course, had to take the first option 'coz #1 I don't have a car and #2 Uh, I obviously don't know how to drive. Yes, at 27 I don't know how to drive so shut your face. =D That driving instructor didn't know what he was talking about in the first place. He just assumed that since I'm an immigrant, I don't have my green card and things will be tough for me. He was wrong 'coz I already have my green card and I have my state ID, so getting the permit was very easy for me to get. 

My husband had to call another instructor on the 27th of December 'coz the first instructor wasn't returning his call. Maybe he wasn't interested 'coz we didn't sign up for their $600 class. They were just after the money. Good thing Tim was able to call another driving school and the driving instructor, Al, made it happen. He picked me up that same day and I was off to driving class that afternoon. He was intimidating at first, but I got comfortable with him when I was already able to adjust to his unique personality. He wasn't an instructor for those with weak hearts. He won't tell you BS if he knows you need to improve on your driving skills. My class was so limited due to financial reasons and time constraints. I don't think I would want my husband to spend $600 on driving class alone. So I did my best to learn during my 10-hour class and went to my road test on the 4th of January.I KNEW I wasn't 100% ready with the road test, but I also knew that I had to get my DL asap or else I will lose that job opportunity. It was very stressful for me and my husband. I still had to work on my turns and I even practiced how to park that same day I was taking the test.

I failed on my first road test 'coz I was really nervous that I even forgot where to steer the wheel when I was backing out of the parking space. Then the major problem was going 20mph and stopping- I was on the grass when I stopped. *insert loud laugh here* So the grumpy examiner failed me that day. It was a stressful day 'coz there were a lot of cars lined up to take the test. I went home with a broken heart and I even cried 'coz I felt so down. I'm glad that my husband was there - even if he was stranded for an hour at the Interstate 'coz his car broke down too, he was there to comfort me and encourage me to do my best the next day. I had to pay my instructor another $125 for the use of his car and him taking me to the DMV the next day. I had a little review the next day and I prayed so hard that night and before my exam- I prayed that I will have a nice examiner and that I will pass the exam 'coz we can't afford to waste money on something that I can actually control. It was an amazing day 'coz I was the only person who was there for the road test and my examiner? HE IS THE BEST! He made me feel so comfortable with the whole process and always reminded me to stay on the road and not to feel nervous. I was able to execute everything he asked me to do 'coz he never intimidated me. Then before I got out of the car he wrote -11 PASSED. I got deducted 11 points 'coz I swerved and I didn't stop correctly before doing the 3-point turn. I wanted to do somersaults when I saw the word "passed". I got my license after 5 minutes and I was more than thrilled to tell my husband I passed. I could not believe that it only took me 3 days of 10-hour lessons to get that license! I went home, said a prayer and I was overwhelmed that tears started to flow from my eyes while I was saying a thank you prayer. God is so amazing and He used people to encourage me, support me, and make things possible for me. I have realized that beautiful things happen in His time. 

I am humbled with this entire journey and I came to realize that I can never depend on myself alone. Nothing beats the wonderful feeling of having your prayers answered. I have a great husband, wonderful family and friends, and an amazing-such an amazing God.

From learner's license to the real deal!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Medical Examination at SLMCEC

November 9-10, 2009 This will be a blow by blow account of my medical exam that took place last week. If you want to be first in line, you can be there as early as 3am, but I went there at 5am because I wanted to make sure that I am safe while taking the exam and I don't want to wait in line for 2-3 hours. It was a good move, since they were already accepting applicants at 5am and I got in around 5:20am and I was the 54th applicant of the day. Make sure to have the following ready: 1. Passport 2. 4 2x2 visa pictures (they will only take 3 though, but I brought 4 since that's their requirement) 3. Original and photocopy of approval letter from the embassy 4. Print out of your interview schedule 5. Black ballpoint pen 6. Payment (213.35 - exchange rate is at 48) Flow chart: 1. At 5:30 I already got in and filled out the Patient Data Sheet form. Memorize your fiance's address and phone number or at least have a copy of it. 2. The guard called us up for the digital picture taki

I'm not so evil after all

" I never got the chance to be your trainee, but I heard a lot of good things about you Ms. Dee." Reading this post from someone I barely even know made my heart flutter. I know that I have been totally brutal with my trainees when I was still working as a trainer back home 'coz I want them to be excellent in their field. I know I was hated by many 'coz I don't know how to kiss people's asses. I even almost got in trouble with our big boss when I was only passing a few people during interviews. A lot of people were mad at me 'coz of my unbelievable standards. A lot of times it did affect me and all I wanted was to please everyone, but I was also pushed by my one of my supervisors not to lower my standards. I got reprimanded for passing a few people during interviews by our big boss, and I got reprimanded by my direct supervisor for passing a lot of trainees during my class. I was totally confused when I was starting up in my new field. But time, experience

The Perpetually Tanned Filipina's Thursday bus adventure

WARNING: LONG POST AHEAD. Read at your own risk. If there is one thing I have learned today, it's that attracting positive thoughts brings you positive results. I took the bus for the 3rd time today, 'coz my hubs had to work and I didn't want him to take a day off just to drive me to the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles). I had to go there to get my non-driver ID for the nth time 'coz I received a letter in the mail saying that I had a discrepancy on my birthdate. To me it was impossible 'coz all of my documents indicate the same birthdate. Since it was indicated in the letter that I had to go to their office and present documents, I took all the courage to take the bus - with a new route today. I went to the Social Security office two times, so I was familiar with that route. I woke up at 9am to get ready 'coz I knew that the bus will be passing by our street at 10-ish. I had to put sunblock on my face, but totally forgot to apply sunblock on my legs and