Skip to main content

My Grandpa, My Hero.

Dr. Dante R. Santiago Sr. (12/06/1934-12/30/2019)

For 2 years in a row, a few days after Christmas is a sad day for our family. A year ago, I lost an Uncle on the 29th of December, and this year, on the 30th of December, I lost my closest grandpa, my Daddy Dante.

I have a very special bond with him because he gave me my first name, Indirah. When I asked him why, he told me that as soon as he saw me when I was born, he knew that I will grow up as a strong woman, so he named me after Indira Gandhi.

My childhood was memorable because of Daddy. He would always take us for bike rides in the afternoon around CMU and he would read to me bible stories until I sleep at night. I never heard Daddy complain about anything. The only time I realized that he was tired of reading my thick Bible comic book every night, was when I found the book hidden somewhere! He always had a way of saying no without hurting our feelings. I was also a very curious child and he patiently answered every single question I had in mind, for he said, an inquisitive mind, is a mind that thinks - so always encourage your child to ask questions. He also had a way of making his presence known through his whistle. I remember that whenever I hear “that” whistle, my face would light up, ‘coz I know Daddy’s paying us a visit!

Daddy is my constant reminder of, “ If you have nothing nice to say, don’t say anything at all.” I do feel guilty when I start saying mean things ‘coz I remember my grandpa’s reminder. I also didn’t have any problems when I went to college, because Daddy will be prompt in making sure that I get my monthly allowance. For 4 years, rain or shine, Daddy would go to the bank to make sure all my needs at school are met. When I had to do my thesis, Daddy was my motivator when things got rough. He was the voice of reason and he cheered me on even when I was struggling. Daddy believed in me, in all of us, and loved all of us unconditionally.

In marriage, I heed his advice, that there is no perfect formula to a lasting marriage. But you have to have God in the center of your marriage, love, open communication, and compromise. He showed all of us how much he loved Mommy. I still remember him giving Mom a kiss on her forehead before he goes to bed - this is without fail. He was always there for Mommy, he was always there for his family. Family FIRST - that’s what Daddy showed all of us even without saying it.

As years go by and his health deteriorated, it was hard for me to see him in his state. I always remembered him as Daddy, our active grandpa who would walk for miles to catch a Jeepney early in the morning. But even in his challenging state, Daddy was always smiling. He was my ray of sunshine whenever I get to see him. He made such a huge impact in my life, that knowing I won’t see him again when we get to visit the Philippines again soon, is heartbreaking. But I know that he is in a much better state now, with no pain and suffering. He was a fighter and fought for years to live. He always said that anything after 70 years old is a blessing. Daddy turned 85 years old on the 6th of December, so we were all so blessed to have him for 15 more years.
If I could live my life with Daddy all over again, I will never change a thing. I just wish I was able to spend more time with him for the past 9 years, but distance was a huge obstacle.

I love you so much, Dad. Thank you so much for being the BEST grandpa a grandchild could ever have. Thank you for being not only a grandpa, but also a Dad to Deebo and I all through these years. We will all see you in the morning. Enjoy your time in heaven. You will forever be my hero.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Medical Examination at SLMCEC

November 9-10, 2009 This will be a blow by blow account of my medical exam that took place last week. If you want to be first in line, you can be there as early as 3am, but I went there at 5am because I wanted to make sure that I am safe while taking the exam and I don't want to wait in line for 2-3 hours. It was a good move, since they were already accepting applicants at 5am and I got in around 5:20am and I was the 54th applicant of the day. Make sure to have the following ready: 1. Passport 2. 4 2x2 visa pictures (they will only take 3 though, but I brought 4 since that's their requirement) 3. Original and photocopy of approval letter from the embassy 4. Print out of your interview schedule 5. Black ballpoint pen 6. Payment (213.35 - exchange rate is at 48) Flow chart: 1. At 5:30 I already got in and filled out the Patient Data Sheet form. Memorize your fiance's address and phone number or at least have a copy of it. 2. The guard called us up for the digital picture taki

I'm not so evil after all

" I never got the chance to be your trainee, but I heard a lot of good things about you Ms. Dee." Reading this post from someone I barely even know made my heart flutter. I know that I have been totally brutal with my trainees when I was still working as a trainer back home 'coz I want them to be excellent in their field. I know I was hated by many 'coz I don't know how to kiss people's asses. I even almost got in trouble with our big boss when I was only passing a few people during interviews. A lot of people were mad at me 'coz of my unbelievable standards. A lot of times it did affect me and all I wanted was to please everyone, but I was also pushed by my one of my supervisors not to lower my standards. I got reprimanded for passing a few people during interviews by our big boss, and I got reprimanded by my direct supervisor for passing a lot of trainees during my class. I was totally confused when I was starting up in my new field. But time, experience

Free entertainment at 1pm

I live in a peaceful community (unless our neighbor upstairs puts on his douche acts again) so any sound outside can be heard from our apartment. At 1pm today, I had free entertainment that I’ve never expected. I was about to take a nap when I heard a weird noise outside. So I took a peek and voila! My neighbor was rapping and singing (with his earphones on) with a cold one on his right hand. This was under 90++ degrees! He was just rockin’ it and feeling his song ‘coz from my viewpoint, I can see him close his eyes and moving his left hand, as if he’s scratching an LP. He not only faced one direction, but he would turn around like he had to face all his fans cheering while he’s jamming to his song. I just felt the need to document it and find a way to fit my camera lens into our blinds without being noticed by our neighbor. It lasted for 5 mins or so and he was just feeling his song so much that he never cared where he was singing it. He only stopped and went inside his apart