Skip to main content

This is my Profession

(This is an old post from my FS blog:Tuesday, October 21st, 2008)

I love my job that’s why I’m writing this.

I know that you can’t please everyone in this world; but sometimes, even a little thank you will mean everything to a person.

I have been working as a soft skills trainer for 2 years and I really love what I am doing. I am still honing my craft in training and even teaching. I want to be better in what I am doing. I do commit mistakes, but I do learn from them. No matter how much I love my job, there are times when I want to hate what I am doing and the situation I am in. Not because I am tired or I hate my colleagues, but it’s for the fact that I am facing ungrateful people who look at me and my fellow soft skills trainers as JUST trainers. I don’t want to be praised, I don’t want to be placed on a pedestal, all I want is a little respect and a little consideration. I don’t want people undermining what we do. We don’t settle for mediocrity and I pity you if you hate us for doing what is right, and for living up to excellence. I pity you if you see me as strict and scary just because I correct trainees lapses. If aiming for mediocrity is what people are asking me to do, I will surely step down and ask some imbecile to do my job.

I love my job but I hate how people treat us. Once they pass their training, they suddenly act like horses with blinders and wouldn’t even dare say hi to you. Worse, even talk behind your back. I was never the good student. But everytime I see my teachers, I never forget to flash a smile or even strike a simple conversation. I am thankful that I had teachers like them - teachers who molded me into the person that I am right now. I just don’t understand the fact that people underestimate who we are, just because we don’t talk about routers and all that shit. Just because we only talk about grammar, pronunciation, customer service, and the whole shebang. I hope that these people would realize the importance of communication skills - one thing, which until now is a common complain of the NA customers because they can’t understand the person whom they are talking to. And now, you think we’re here just to entertain people and waste four days of their lives?

I know this is part of the job and this is just the tip of the iceberg. I know I am complaining, I know I am whining. I am doing all this because I am insulted - with the way people see us, and with the way people treat us.

I don’t want people to fear me. I want them to understand that I am doing this because I want excellence in everything that I do. I am who I am to them because I care and I value their future. I may not be perfect, I may not know everything that they ask, but I know I am doing my best to train future leaders and not just ordinary people. Every trainee has his/her own potential. Each person deserves to be respected.

Being a trainer is not JUST my occupation, it IS my profession.

If you were in my shoes, you will understand where this pathetic angst is coming from…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Medical Examination at SLMCEC

November 9-10, 2009 This will be a blow by blow account of my medical exam that took place last week. If you want to be first in line, you can be there as early as 3am, but I went there at 5am because I wanted to make sure that I am safe while taking the exam and I don't want to wait in line for 2-3 hours. It was a good move, since they were already accepting applicants at 5am and I got in around 5:20am and I was the 54th applicant of the day. Make sure to have the following ready: 1. Passport 2. 4 2x2 visa pictures (they will only take 3 though, but I brought 4 since that's their requirement) 3. Original and photocopy of approval letter from the embassy 4. Print out of your interview schedule 5. Black ballpoint pen 6. Payment (213.35 - exchange rate is at 48) Flow chart: 1. At 5:30 I already got in and filled out the Patient Data Sheet form. Memorize your fiance's address and phone number or at least have a copy of it. 2. The guard called us up for the digital picture taki

I'm not so evil after all

" I never got the chance to be your trainee, but I heard a lot of good things about you Ms. Dee." Reading this post from someone I barely even know made my heart flutter. I know that I have been totally brutal with my trainees when I was still working as a trainer back home 'coz I want them to be excellent in their field. I know I was hated by many 'coz I don't know how to kiss people's asses. I even almost got in trouble with our big boss when I was only passing a few people during interviews. A lot of people were mad at me 'coz of my unbelievable standards. A lot of times it did affect me and all I wanted was to please everyone, but I was also pushed by my one of my supervisors not to lower my standards. I got reprimanded for passing a few people during interviews by our big boss, and I got reprimanded by my direct supervisor for passing a lot of trainees during my class. I was totally confused when I was starting up in my new field. But time, experience

The Perpetually Tanned Filipina's Thursday bus adventure

WARNING: LONG POST AHEAD. Read at your own risk. If there is one thing I have learned today, it's that attracting positive thoughts brings you positive results. I took the bus for the 3rd time today, 'coz my hubs had to work and I didn't want him to take a day off just to drive me to the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles). I had to go there to get my non-driver ID for the nth time 'coz I received a letter in the mail saying that I had a discrepancy on my birthdate. To me it was impossible 'coz all of my documents indicate the same birthdate. Since it was indicated in the letter that I had to go to their office and present documents, I took all the courage to take the bus - with a new route today. I went to the Social Security office two times, so I was familiar with that route. I woke up at 9am to get ready 'coz I knew that the bus will be passing by our street at 10-ish. I had to put sunblock on my face, but totally forgot to apply sunblock on my legs and