Skip to main content

From a daughter's heart

Any man can be a father. It takes someone special to be a dad. ~Author Unknown


If you have a dad right now and still have a complete family and never saw your parents separate because of infidelity, I would like to tell you that you are LUCKY AND BLESSED. I have a family, I have a mom and I have a dad, but they are no longer together. Do you know how painful it is to see your parents separate after 17 years of marriage just because of another woman? Pain is an understatement that you get numb as years go by. But today, I am not going to talk about how bad of a father my dad was. I will instead talk about how I can remember him as my dad.

It may have been 10 years since my dad left us, but I can still remember how he was as a dad. He was a great provider and downright funny. My mom will always tell us, with the 100 stories your dad is telling you, 101 are all craziness. He was a charmer and a comedian. He was loved my almost everybody because he can get your attention with his jokes and his wit. And mind you, he will always flash his dimples when he is smiling and laughing - no wonder my mom fell in love with him back in their high school years. I got my dimples from my dad- the exact pair, that's why he can't tell the world that I am not his child. I got my brown complexion and my ASSet from him too. I got my serious side from my mom, but I got my craziness from my dad. I remember him as someone who will always bring us stuff everytime he gets home from his fieldwork. I remember him getting my brother and I cheeseballs and pringles when we requested for it. He never says no to our requests and we would always be excited to see him when he gets home. He did spoil us with our wants and as a kid that made me and my brother happy.

My father was also a huge influence in my tv viewing habits. He will always tell us to either switch the channel or turn the tv off whenever a Filipino soap opera is on 'coz he thinks it's depressing and it's all crap. We are made to watch English cartoons and National Geographic instead. He would never make us watch wrestling matches too 'coz according to him, it's all fake and scripted. He would make us watch boxing, baseball, and soccer instead. We don't watch basketball either 'coz to him it was overrated. He was controlling when it comes to tv viewing, but I was able to learn good things from his weird rules. First, I learned to practice speaking in English eversince I was a kid and I was able to use it to my own advantage when I was already working. I also know a little bit of boxing, baseball, soccer, and thank God- basketball too! I wasn't raised by my dad to just focus on make up, dolls, and fixing my hair. Because of my knowledge in sports, my husband and I get along so well when we watch games on tv or even live.

There was also a time when my front tooth was about to fall out. I never went to the dentist, instead we watched a boxing match on tv. Yes, you read it right- a boxing match. What he would do is tie a piece of thread on my loose teeth and everytime the game gets intense, he would attempt to pull it with his matching scream "Tua ra!" which means "there it goes" in English. His first attempt would always be unsuccessful, but he would ace on the second pull. It saved me and even my brother a trip to the dentist. That's 4 pieces of tooth in total and a couple of intense boxing matches.

He was also a good teacher - he taught me to memorize the multiplication table. Tell me to multiply using the finger technique and I will fail. He would show me flashcards every night and make me recite the multiplication table and run through the flash cards in 2 seconds. I still suck at math though, even if I know my multiplication table.

My dad was a disciplinarian too. He only screamed at me once for being a lazy little girl, but one piercing stare from him would make me stop the mischievous plans I have in mind. I was a difficult kid, for I would always love to break all the rules. I was also prohibited to be seen with boys in the streets. I was never close to guys until I reached college. I never had guy friends in grade school and high school 'coz my dad will get mad. I never understood it at first, but when it was my time to live on my own during college, I knew he was doing that for my own good even if it was a bit overboard.

My dad was also an artist and a musician. He can draw and paint and he is good at it. He makes my drawing assignments in high school 'coz I was too lazy to make them or it will always come out ugly when I start to do it on my own. I remember upperclassmen asking to borrow my silk screen pattern 'coz it the album cover of Pink Floyd's "The Wall". He plays the harmonica, the guitar and the flute very well. He knew art and music by heart and to me, that was just amazing.

I looked up to my dad and I respected him so much until I was 17 years old, then everything started to crumble. But on this day, I don't want to remember my dad as the evil person. I have kept that grudge for 7 years and I don't want to go through that again. Nothing can heal me and my family completely, but I know that without him I would never be the person that I am right now. Today, I want to look back at the days when he made my family and everyone around him smile, laugh, and appreciate life and its idiosyncrasies.

Papa, you may not be perfect and you may have hurt me and our family so much, but I know deep inside you have a good heart. I just want to thank you for raising me as a good person and for teaching me toughness, discipline, art, and many more. Thank you for the great times and for the lessons you taught me along the way. I forgive you for hurting me and our family, for not being there during my entire college life, and for not showing up before I left to the US and start a new life as a married woman. I opt not to be bitter, because I know there is always a reason for everything that happened. I want you to know that you will always be my Papa and I love you so much.

Happy Father's Day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Medical Examination at SLMCEC

November 9-10, 2009 This will be a blow by blow account of my medical exam that took place last week. If you want to be first in line, you can be there as early as 3am, but I went there at 5am because I wanted to make sure that I am safe while taking the exam and I don't want to wait in line for 2-3 hours. It was a good move, since they were already accepting applicants at 5am and I got in around 5:20am and I was the 54th applicant of the day. Make sure to have the following ready: 1. Passport 2. 4 2x2 visa pictures (they will only take 3 though, but I brought 4 since that's their requirement) 3. Original and photocopy of approval letter from the embassy 4. Print out of your interview schedule 5. Black ballpoint pen 6. Payment (213.35 - exchange rate is at 48) Flow chart: 1. At 5:30 I already got in and filled out the Patient Data Sheet form. Memorize your fiance's address and phone number or at least have a copy of it. 2. The guard called us up for the digital picture taki

I'm not so evil after all

" I never got the chance to be your trainee, but I heard a lot of good things about you Ms. Dee." Reading this post from someone I barely even know made my heart flutter. I know that I have been totally brutal with my trainees when I was still working as a trainer back home 'coz I want them to be excellent in their field. I know I was hated by many 'coz I don't know how to kiss people's asses. I even almost got in trouble with our big boss when I was only passing a few people during interviews. A lot of people were mad at me 'coz of my unbelievable standards. A lot of times it did affect me and all I wanted was to please everyone, but I was also pushed by my one of my supervisors not to lower my standards. I got reprimanded for passing a few people during interviews by our big boss, and I got reprimanded by my direct supervisor for passing a lot of trainees during my class. I was totally confused when I was starting up in my new field. But time, experience

The Perpetually Tanned Filipina's Thursday bus adventure

WARNING: LONG POST AHEAD. Read at your own risk. If there is one thing I have learned today, it's that attracting positive thoughts brings you positive results. I took the bus for the 3rd time today, 'coz my hubs had to work and I didn't want him to take a day off just to drive me to the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles). I had to go there to get my non-driver ID for the nth time 'coz I received a letter in the mail saying that I had a discrepancy on my birthdate. To me it was impossible 'coz all of my documents indicate the same birthdate. Since it was indicated in the letter that I had to go to their office and present documents, I took all the courage to take the bus - with a new route today. I went to the Social Security office two times, so I was familiar with that route. I woke up at 9am to get ready 'coz I knew that the bus will be passing by our street at 10-ish. I had to put sunblock on my face, but totally forgot to apply sunblock on my legs and